@Cynthia's Blog

I think, along with brunch and naps, tapas will be mandatory when I rule the world.

Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Banned Books or Why I Am The Way I Am

Browsing Barnes & Noble today, I saw a table with the sign "Banned Books": A Wrinkle in Time, A Catcher In The Rye, Brave New World, etc. I was amazed how many of them I had read (e.g., all three above)... in grade school (e.g., all three above)... BECAUSE THEY WERE ASSIGNED READING!!! (e.g., all three above) And, with the exception of reading A Catcher In The Rye in sixth grade (I just didn't get it until I re-read it a dozen years later), what the heck is the problem? Perhaps the banners are the same people who are upset by the The DaVinci Code because don't quite get that it is a novel.

Let's hear it for St. Brigid's, circa 1968.