As the Clan Expands...
We had a baby shower for cute little 4-month-old Reed Nathaniel Kelly-Hong. Along the way I found out that Karenne Berry (3 weeks younger than I), my cousin Carl's daughter, is about to become a GRANDMOTHER (her son's girlfriend-wife-I'm-not-sure-which) is due any minute now. That means that Carl will be a Great-Grandfather; Mommie and Aunt Millie will be Great-Great-Great Aunts. I don't know what that makes me (there comes a point where geneology seems to involve calculus and my brain starts to crackle and emit noxious fumes). But I'm ready to go to Buy-Buy-Baby at the drop of a bonnet.
I also kinda feel like I'm standing in the middle of some long expanse, an historical galaxy of Family. At one far end , I have information like the name Nila de Valonga (my own Great-Great-Great-Grandmother, a descendant of one of the Spanish families that settled in northern Florida in the 1600's); I have pictures, oral history, documents, and even possessions of my Grandparents George Washington Reed, Mary Elizabeth Stewart, David Salmon, and Jane Abidia Clark; I have long, strong, fond memories of my Grandfather Thomas Jackson and Aunt Mary Berry (she's the one I saw in a Kool And The Gang video at about 2am in, what? 1980?); then there's me and the cousins; and they have kids and now their kids have kids and their kids' kids are having kids! How many generations of Reeds does that make, laughing and crying and celebrating and mourning in the depths of my soul?

<< Home