September 11, 2003
I have to admit to you all, right off the bat, that I stayed home and watched a little bit of it on TV; I got it all wrong. But also getting it wrong were the TV executives responsible for the news coverage of the Second Anniversary of the Terror Attack on America. I think they wanted to overwhelm me with renewed pain and anguish, that that was the way to ensure that I Did Not Forget. They talked about Lingering Pain of the Survivors; they broadcast The Children Reading the Names of the Dead. Still, even though I’m surfing a constant hormonally-induced mood roller-coaster, I was unmoved. A little annoyed, even. But you know, the newsreaders are not actors and I could tell they weren’t really feeling it the way the script called for.
What up wit dat?
Simple: those of us who can, need to move on. Not put anything behind us, nor try to go back to the way things used to be; just pick up the baggage we have now acquired and walk on with life. And I need something to move on with. I’m not sure what I’m supposed to do with isolated images of the two concrete-and-steel monoliths collapsing in smoke and flames and horrific terror— It’s just so much emotional scab-picking, because it ignores to the lessons that we learned, the unconscious spiritual transformation that hit us all. And the moment of transformation is what needs to be relived.
Remember September 11th? Of course. The survivors of the victims will never forget. For the rest of us, six minutes of silence, one for each critical event that morning. Harder to figure is Tribute. I’ve got my ideas. What are yours?
(Warning: sharp turn to the left coming.)
1. Emergency Preparedness Dinner: Okay, so you’ve stocked up on 3 days worth of canned goods, but you’re also supposed to rotate them once a year so you aren’t stuck with bulging, bacteria-laden green beans during a crisis. You mean I’m actually supposed to eat that stuff? Yeah, well, invite your friends over for a “Canned-Luck” Dinner Party and, with enough margaritas, it won’t be quite as painful.
2. Eat at a Middle Eastern Restaurant: I haven’t completed my research on this one, but I don’t think they’ve traced any terrorist cells to any ethnic restaurants. So foster multi-cultural understanding and support by eating at the Afghan Kebab House
(I couldn’t decide whether I wanted to take a serious or silly angle with this essay, so I decided to do both. No, I couldn’t sell it to New Yorker in this condition, but that’s why god made blogs.)
3. Find a Virgo and Throw Them a Birthday Party: Imagine what a bummer it’s going to be from now on to try to celebrate something on September 11th? Seek out those poor souls, wear a party hat and bake them a cake.
4. National Get Over your Petty-Assed Self Day (also known as the Wicked Witch of the East Memorial Day): To hell with your diva attitude, people have better things to worry about than how the lime in your cocktail is twisted. Be nice, before somebody drops a building on you.
Okay, in all seriousness (and if you don’t join me in this one, at least hold me to my promise), I read about a terrific organization called “One Day’s Pay.” Check it out. Sign up for something.
Peace.

<< Home