Sometimes, ya gotta Just Say Yes. Pat called me up on Wednesday and said, “Have you heard of a play called Enchanted April? A lady at my job saw it and loved it and I wanted to see it, but it’s closing this weekend so I was wondering if you’d like to come see it with me?” I don’t think I’d ever heard of it, and the name "Enchanted April" sounded so artsy and intellectual, not like, say, the last Broadway show I saw (Movin’ Out. Rock-and-Roll. War. Death. Drugs. Despair. Ballet.) But what the hell. It’s in the neighborhood.
Ah. I really really liked this play. It is a lovely story about renewal and new beginnings (OK, it was a chick flick on stage), written and staged like a play should be written and staged, not like I-wish-this-were-a-movie-so-I-could-do-digital-effects-but-I-can’t-get-a-studio-to-put-up-the-bucks; and acted by good ol’ fashioned theatre people who know how to act on stage (and be heard in the Mezzanine without being miked). Good ol’ fashioned theatre. Too bad it’ll be long gone by the time you read this.

<< Home