@Cynthia's Blog

I think, along with brunch and naps, tapas will be mandatory when I rule the world.

Friday, June 25, 2004

Coppelia. ABT. Herman Cornejo. Xiomara Reyes. Oh, and Victor Barbee as Dr. Coppelius. I didn't have a chance. I was Big Happy before I left the house.

First of all, I don't want to hear you saying you don't like Coppelia. Bull. You like candy, don't you? Admit it. A little something sweet and smooth that melts in your mouth and hits your bloodstream before you can say "Mmmmmm." Swanilda and Franz are in love; Franz develops a crush on a party doll built by the town's harmless wacko; hijinks ensue. That's the story of Coppelia. Xiomara is bold and sassy and moves more securely and confidently en pointe than the rest of us do in our favorite sneakers; Herman has sooooo much technique to spare that he can be spinning six feet in the air (quite a feat for a guy who lies and says he's 5'6") in an impossible position and look as calm and relaxed and cheery as if he had just tossed back a mojito.

Thanks againagainagain to Dr. Dick for being my source for affordable ballet tickets.