What a dull day at work! I spent the morning in “arts & crafts,” cutting and pasting a half-dozen newspaper articles onto 8 ½ x 11 sheets of paper. It’s a task most of us avoid like the plague, but I was so damned bored I had to do it so I could pretend I was working.
The afternoon I spent surfing, mostly reading the news, and whatever I found about weblogs. (Leigh really should never have mentioned them to me.) I’m attracted to them … sort of … although some people who have apparently been writing them for years are a bit snobby and intimidating: I ran across the word “catblogs”—which I assume we can define simply by reading my two previous entries—written with an obvious sneer. But then of course I read a lot of other people’s “catblogs” and many were so delightedly dull that I started looking for more newspaper articles to cut and paste.
I think it boils down to the question: “Who is your target audience?” The old-timers seem to have it in their minds to take part in some sort of global intercourse on art, intelligencia, politics, social activism—whatever; and the catbloggers are writing (although some, unfortunately, don’t realize this) just for their friends and family.
Right now, I’m reallyreallyreally just a catblogger. Maybe when I grow up I’ll be intellectual, an artist, a deep thinker—or maybe not. Right now, I’m a beginner, and I just want to see where this leads me.

<< Home